Autumn Pumpkin Gingered Bisque
NOTE: If you roast your pumpkin beforehand, this soup comes together in less than 30 minutes so plan accordingly. To roast simply cut pumpkin in half, scrape out seeds (save those to roast separately) and lay cut side down; roast in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until flesh is soft. Scrape flesh from skin and proceed with recipe. You can also substitute butternut squash or carrots in place of pumpkin.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
A pinch of red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger (don’t substitute ground)
3.5 cups chicken broth
5 cups pumpkin, roasted
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons honey
1. Melt butter and olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add onion, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a good pinch of salt; cook until softened – about 3 minutes or so
3. Stir in ginger and cook about 1 minute
4. Stir in broth and pumpkin; bring to simmer and cook about 5-7 minutes; off heat and cool for 10 minutes
5. Puree soup in batches in a blender taking care to fill blender only half full as hot liquids expand, you can also blend with a stick blender but it will take quite a long time to get the creaminess you’re looking for here.
6. Return pureed soup to pot and add milk and orange juice & honey.
7. Return to simmer briefly – do not bring to a boil or you risk curdling the milk
8. Adjust seasoning if needed
Serve with Parmesan Croutons and Schmidt Family Vineyards Viognier